Monday, September 15, 2008

My Design Philosophy

My Design Philosophy

I've been studying to be a designer since 2005, but have held an interest in sewing all of my life. I combine both draping and tailoring, with my strengths being in flat pattern design. It all starts with my inspiration: an actress, a book, a painting, anything. I turn that into a sketch, which I then expand into many sketches, mixing and matching the ideas that work. From there I work on Illustrator and digitize my drawings, working out all of the technical details. Finally I set to work on my design, tweeking what needs to be tweeked until I'm left with a beautiful final product.

Aesthetically my designs tend to be simple with quirky details: an interesting pocket, embellishment, style line, etc. to catch the eye. I love colors of all kinds, and that often drives my designs. I can be inspired by things like a good cup of coffee or a textile print and I often come up with elaborate stories about the person I envision wearing my design. I sketch best in cafes with the low noise, calming music, and the opportunity to people watch. They know my order at several coffeehouses.

I've been working towards a degree in Apparel Design and Fashion Merchandising for over 3 years. This has led me to many opportunities including undergraduate research, being a teachinig assistant, and working in a Costume Collection. Being on campus has also led me to become involved in a student theatre organization called E-52, where I have costumed several shows (my favorite being "No Exit" by Jean Paul Sartre), as well as assistant directing.

Outside of class I work at a JoAnn Fabrics Superstore. I work at the cutting counter and assist customers with their fabric and trim purchases, often answering questions to help them with their projects. On Saturdays I do in-store craft demonstrations on various crafts including sculpey clay, jewelry making, cricut, painting, stenciling, sewing, etc.

Besides designing, I know how to use Microsoft Word and Powerpoint and I have a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel. I have also taken a class in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and have used them in many projects.

In five years, I picture myself doing one of a number of things. I might be costuming for a theatre. I have always had a passion for the performing arts and would like to marry my two loves of fashion and theatre into a career. I might be selling my designs online and to local boutiques. It would be so rewarding to run into someone on the street wearing my design. I could then see if she matched up with the vision I had created in my head. Or I could be working as a visual merchandiser, arranging eyecatching layouts to grab customers into a store.

No comments: