Saturday, March 21, 2009

Persephone

Also coming up soon is the ballet, Persephone, put on by the Midatlantic Ballet company. I, as well as several other students in UD's fashion program, were involved in the design and construction of the costumes. It was definitely a new experience. I've done costuming for some straight plays before, but never for ballet! I got to learn a lot about working with chiffons and leotards. It could be frustrating at times but I really think I got a lot out of it. I had many designs selected to be created: Athena, Artemis, Nymphs, Zeus, Hades, Zeus' Attendants, Meadow Flowers, and Flowers Act 2 are all my designs. We've been working since January, but things really heated up in February once patterns were finished and construction began. A lot of work went into construction and a lot of trial and error. My professor that got me involved acted as a guide however and I also had help with constructing my costumes from another girl who wasn't available during the design/patternmaking process. She helped me meet deadlines.

The light at the end of the tunnel was dim at first and sometimes it seemed like an oncoming train but it is almost here. The shows are March 27th and 28th in Mitchell Hall on campus. I'm going on Saturday and taking Chris with me. I can't wait to see them on stage! Professional photos are also supposed to be taken of the costumes and once that happens I'll post them up on here.

A few of us involved in the process were also interviewed for UDaily which was a fun experience. They even got some action shots of us working. Once that article gets posted online I'll provide a link. I also want to upload some of my original sketches that I did.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Erin, Great update! Can we see some pictures of the costumes?